Eleven years ago today, while appearing on The Oprah Show, Sheila Kelley said: “I’m dying to do hip circles with you guys.”
She demonstrated, but was mostly blocked from the camera’s view.
Oh, oh, what were those hip circles?
I wished I could step into the television and peer around Oprah and Kim Cattrall for a clear view of Sheila. Something about her child-like, wide-eyed enthusiasm made me sense magic in them.
I knew in that moment, that a woman’s secret power must be tucked away like buried treasure in her hips.
I’m a smart cookie!
- I graduated as my high school’s Valedictorian.
- I earned two degrees from the University of Pennsylvania — BS in Economics from the Wharton School and a BA in Biological Basis of Behavior.
- I got a PhD in Health Services Research & Policy Analysis from UC Berkley’s School of Public Health.
Even with all this intelligence, I didn’t fathom the journey I embarked on when I stood up in my living room and did my first tentative, bumpy and boxy hip ‘circle’ after a commercial break as Sheila shouted “Send that hip to Detroit!”
Life is Oh-So-Different Because I Do Hip Circles
I’m a nutritarian who eats her kale and experiences more pleasure from a plant-based eating style that many call too hard/restrictive/impossible. Try it! You might like it!
I’m a writer + soon-to-be published memoirist of How Pole Dancing Changed My Life.
I adore Sunday morning sex and believe in kissing. Kissing a lot! (more on this soon!)
The story of how pole dancing got me in touch with my sensual side is in the print edition of the November issue of More magazine, page 122.
I dance out of bed — often on Mondays!
Dance + Play Still Transform My Life
Most recently, after learning that sitting is more dangerous than smoking I vowed to take hourly breaks consistently.
I failed to develop the habit especially when immersing in writing
So I found a way to hip circle and sway while I write! My biggest fans received the story in their in-boxes on Saturday.
When I sat down to eat lunch and give my knees a break, it felt awkward and my hips whined. And it’s only been several days!
To inspire you to take frequent dance breaks or set up your very own dancing desk here’s my Ode to Hip circles playlist featuring some of my favorites from the last eleven years!
Ode to Hip Circles Playlist
- The Way You Move – OutKast & Sleepy Brown
- Yeah! – Usher featuring Lil’ Jon & Ludacris
- Lover, You Should Have Come Over – Jeff Buckley
- California Love – 2Pac, Dr. Dre & Roger Troutman
- Road To Zion – Damian “Jr. Gong” Marley & NaS
- You’re The Boss – The Brian Setzer Orchestra
- Maneater – Nelly Furtado
- I Wanna Fuck You – Snoop Dogg Feat. Akon
- Witchy Woman – The Eagles
- Into the Night (feat. Chad Kroeger) – Santana
- Hot & Bothered – Lucy Woodward
- Down On Me – Jeremih & 50 Cent
- 13 Minutes (B-Side) – Living Syndication
- Ain’t Nobody (Breakage’s Suck It Up Mix) – Clare Maguire
- Bailando (feat. Sean Paul) – Enrique Iglesias
- Swing – Savage
- Freaks of the Industry – Digital Underground
- Gypsy – Shakira
- Wet – Snoop – Dogg
- Trumpets – Jason Derulo
Cue up the playlist on Spotify. Choose a song, get up and dance. Circle those hips! Pretty please. For me. And your beautiful body.
What are your favorite hip circle songs? Please share with me because something tells me I’m going to need a bunch more as I spend long hours at my ‘dancing desk’ finishing the memoir!
And if you can’t wait to read the first part — Elusive Erotic Creature — pop your email in the form below for special delivery to your inbox!